Saturday, April 12, 2008

How sweet it is...


Francesco and I just moved in to our new house a few weeks ago. I still haven’t gotten to taking some quality pics of it, but I definitely want to show everyone. It’s small, with an outdoor kitchen and sitting area (with a hammock we added ourselves), and is just perfect for us. We have a gate that opens to a small pebble path that leads to a light embedded in a stone altar. On top of the altar is a huge stone pot with my new adopted friend… a baby frangipani tree. Frangipani is a tree found everywhere in Bali. It blossoms the most beautiful pale white flowers with yellow centers, that have the most wonderful aromatic sweetness, better than honeysuckle. Just devine. These flowers are so special to the Balinese that they are used in daily offerings to the gods, and in ceremonies on the sides of both men’s and women’s ears.


It has become my favorite flower in the whole word, and I wear them often in my hair, as they are bountiful. So you can imagine my happiness to see that we had one in our front yard. But our tree (I named her Leila) hasn’t bloomed yet, so I am making it my mission to care for her and make sure she gets all the love and water necessary in this heat and sun. I’ll be posting pics of her along the way… and soon we will be having breakfast with the sweet smell of frangipani in the air. I can’t wait!

1 comment:

CreoleInDC said...

This home sounds sooooo beautiful and peaceful! I want to see pics!