Thursday, July 24, 2008

Random Memory


LOL! I can’t even type this without cracking up… when I was really young (probably under 10) Grandma was over at our house babysitting us kids. I remember after dinner that the radio was on one of those light rock/jazzish stations, and Bill Withers’ “I Wanna Spend the Night With You” came on. I didn’t really know the song, but when I heard the words, all I could think of was to blurt out, “Grandma! I dedicate this song to you!” And it was true… all I wanted was to spend the night at Grandma’s house. It meant playing youthful games, being spoiled with all the honey toast I wanted, and taking the bus to Wheaton Plaza, where I would usually score a good meal at Hot Shops, some “peas and carrots” from my favorite candy shop, and maybe some stickers. If I was lucky, I would get to go to Woolworth with her and snatch the stray synthetic flowers that had fallen on the floor from their plastic stems. Well anyway, when I proudly stated this dedication to her, you should have seen her face! She was SO offended that I meant this “sexual” song to be for her. She turned bright red, scuffled in her slippers, and got her knee-highs all in a bunch. I knew when my sisters started laughing that I had made a mistake with my innocent proclamation. Sorry Grandma, you just didn’t get how pure it was… you were too busy deciding what was unpure!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet memory! I'm so glad you had those times with her. Unfortunately, gramma's missed so much of the "purity" of our desire to know her over the years. Interesting that she is so childlike herself and yet completely rebuffs any attempt to share in the little things that create intimacy...

Happy Birthday, Fritzi! Keep those knee highs up!

Anonymous said...

LOL LOL LOL
It is so funny but so sick at the same time.
I love you Leah. You were so innocent. She had the problem:)
Hot shops and zebra cones.